2 days after school ended I flew home to the states. As my Nana would say, I was on v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n. I was a little jet lagged at first but ready to hit the ground running. My mom, Elaine and Pokes picked me up from the airport which was awesome because I was just expecting my mom. I thought Stephen had to work so I was confused and when I leaned in for a hug with a confused look on my face he said, "I got let go" followed by a laugh and "I'm just kidding, I got promoted." Little jerk! Well at least I can say that was appreciated more than the time he April fooled me into thinking he got his girlfriend pregnant at 19 and I doubled over.
The next couple of days were fitting in seeing as many people as I could before heading up north to Scituate (south shore of Boston), which is without question, one of my favorite places in world. Probably tops the list. I was super pumped for Scituate this year because it was going to be the best turnout we'd had in probably 8-10 years. We had almost all of my dad's family coming up and we also had our infamous whiffle ball scheduled. We also had a couple newbies joining us, Holly's boyfriend, Sean, and Loey's boyfriend, also named Sean. I was flying up on my own out of Reagan and headed up early in the morning, jet lagged and not totally with it. I got on the plane and the seat next to me was open. Shortly after, who walks up and says "Is this seat taken?" but Sara T! I am embarrassed to say that I was so out of it I still didn't connect it. I said "What are you doing on this flight?" followed by a long pause (her waiting for me to connect the dots) then "Wait, are you coming to Scituate?!" I learned that this surprise had been planned since the wedding and despite the numerous emails that she was erroneously included on (potentially ruining the surprise) I still hadn't figured it out. Upon arrival everyone kept saying "but come on you really had no idea??" I almost wanted to lie and say that I had had a suspicion but I had to be honest and admit that I was actually just that dense.
The next couple of days were fitting in seeing as many people as I could before heading up north to Scituate (south shore of Boston), which is without question, one of my favorite places in world. Probably tops the list. I was super pumped for Scituate this year because it was going to be the best turnout we'd had in probably 8-10 years. We had almost all of my dad's family coming up and we also had our infamous whiffle ball scheduled. We also had a couple newbies joining us, Holly's boyfriend, Sean, and Loey's boyfriend, also named Sean. I was flying up on my own out of Reagan and headed up early in the morning, jet lagged and not totally with it. I got on the plane and the seat next to me was open. Shortly after, who walks up and says "Is this seat taken?" but Sara T! I am embarrassed to say that I was so out of it I still didn't connect it. I said "What are you doing on this flight?" followed by a long pause (her waiting for me to connect the dots) then "Wait, are you coming to Scituate?!" I learned that this surprise had been planned since the wedding and despite the numerous emails that she was erroneously included on (potentially ruining the surprise) I still hadn't figured it out. Upon arrival everyone kept saying "but come on you really had no idea??" I almost wanted to lie and say that I had had a suspicion but I had to be honest and admit that I was actually just that dense.
Tobes at Logan, in what i like to call the "what are you doing on this flight?" photo
Everyday we started out with a nice 45 min or so walk then showered up and started our day. Our days consisted of laying out on the beach, or the dock, going out for lunch somewhere in town, having drinks and dinner at someone's place. Extremely stressful. We didn't have much scheduled, except for a lobster dinner one night, Boston cousins coming in for an afternoon and of course the aforementioned whiffle ball game. We got a laugh because one of my cousin's friends came for a couple of days and left early, apparently saying that we were too "unstructured" but that we made for great people watching. When I told this to my dad, he said "this is the most structured we've ever been!" We all got some good laughs out of the whole thing and of course every Instagram from that point was #unstructured.
View on one of our morning walks
The beauty of the morning walk was that you never really knew where you'd end up. Case in point. One morning we set off, no cell phones or wallets, because we were just planning to walk. We ran into my dad and Ann on our way and they said they were heading to TK's (one of our favorite watering holes) and why don't we stop by for a bloody on our way back. Obviously that happened. But one turned into two, turned into we should swing by the package store to stock up the house. We were all carrying cases and bags with bottles of wine when we decided we should pick up some lunch. We were going to get it to go and then reconsidered and said let's just eat there. We felt a little strange about walking in carrying copious amounts of alcohol but didn't have much of a choice. As we entered the hostess looked at us and our packages, a little confused. Bryan takes that moment to go, "hey, you guys are still BYOB, right?":) She literally didn't respond.
A big group of use one day for lunch at TK's
Our whiffle ball game was highly anticipated. Our last one was probably about 8 years ago. We have two teams, the Scituate Stallions and the Commonwealth Maddogs (named for an epic meltdown my dad had on Commonwealth Ave in Boston). This year the teams were mixed up and I found myself on the Stallions. Many of the Maddogs were unhappy with the breakdown as it did appear that the Stallions were unfairly stacked. My bro would have been a strong player for the Maddogs but wasn't able to make it which tipped the scales for the Stallions. We arrived to the field with some coolers, some had been drinking already, some of us were on water trying to be in fighting shape. Our team manager, Neil, was the former. He showed up with a thermos full of god knows what. My dad was the Stallions manager and gave them a talk while assigning everyone a position in the field and in the batting lineup. Neil gave approx half the team positions (those I think he deemed to be stronger players) and then said to the remainder, "the rest of you just get out in the outfield and f***ing relax" haha. Tobin approached Carly and I and said, "awesome so should we just grab some drinks and head out to the outfield?" We looked at each other and said, "this is awkward because we actually have positions..."
I'll be honest, things got a little heated during the game. Some of us are quite competitive. The Stallions came in knowing they were the favorite to win but we didn't count on one thing, Loey's bf Sean. Turns out he was a ringer. Who knew? This guy was making one handed catches in whiffle ball! One of my teammates looks at me after one of Sean's super athletic plays and said, "who the hell is that guy??" There was a highly contested call with a runner on third (Sean, of course) and unfortunately that ended up resulting in the only run of the game, which gave the Maddogs the win. So, yeah, there was some tension after the game. May have resulted in Elaine calling me a b**** and me telling her to go f herself. What can I say? We take whiffle ball seriously. After some cool down time, everyone relaxed and we enjoyed our lobster night. Upon rereading this I'm starting to understand why my cousin's friend said we made for good people watching...
We also enjoyed 3 nights of fireworks around 4th of July
And beautiful sunsets from the deck of the Ocean's Eleven cottage
Sisters Sullivan
Cousins shot!


No comments:
Post a Comment