Saturday, December 21, 2013

Listening Ears, Thinking Time and Being Felt Up by a 3.5 Year Old...

The first term finished on Thurs so my much needed holiday starts now:) Woohoo! I got some great gifts from my students which was awesome. My assistant, nanny and I were joking that the fact that our most challenging student will not be returning for the next term is really the best and only Christmas present we really needed. But the others are nice too:)



I have one little girl in my class that I really like although she's VERY strong willed and frequently decides she's not going to follow instructions or listen at all (ironically she's the tiniest one in the class). Therefore every morning when she walks in I ask her if she has her "listening ears" on today. The funny thing is that her mom asked me one day about the listening ears and said that her daughter wakes up every morning asking her mom if the mom has her listening ears on hahaha.

When students are not listening or not sharing or biting, snatching toys, etc we send them to "thinking time". Now that my kids are familiar with thinking time they like to try to send each other to thinking time. When they see someone misbehaving they point their finger at them and say "thinking time!" or actually take the other child's hand and lead them to a chair they've pulled against the wall haha. It's seriously so cute and I have the hardest time keeping a straight face when they do that. I had a mom come in one morning and tell me that her son had put the whole family in thinking time the night before haha.

I have one little boy in my class that is so attached to me, he hates when I leave the class and watches out the window for me to come back. He asks me everyday "Miss Jennifer will you sit next to me?" during snack and lately has started not only wanting to share his snack with me but wants to feed me haha. His mom is so nice and I chat with her regularly when she picks him up. She was telling me how much he loves school and how he talks about it all the time at home. Then she goes "But if he were about 15 years older you may have a stalking situation on your hands. He's always asking at home 'Where's Miss Jennifer now? Is she coming to my house? Where does she live? Where does her husband live?' and I say 'Um let's just say she lives in Dubai and leave it at that'" hahahaha.

The other day in my afternoon class I was talking to a couple of the kids and the conversation shifted to my freckles. A boy said "What are those?" and the girl goes, in a know it all voice, "They're pimples" and I said, laughing, "No, actually they're called freckles". They both looked confused. The boy then says "Where do you have them? Everywhere?" and I said "No, I have them on my face and on my arms and shoulders" and pointed out to him where. Then he goes "Do you have them here?" as he runs his hands right across my chest hahaha. 2 nannies were standing there and witnessed this and we all just started dying laughing. I've had other kids ask me about my freckles before; one actually told me I was dirty and needed to shower because he thought they were specks of dirt hahah. Clearly freckles are not extremely common in Dubai...

Now we're off to the airport to pick up Holly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment