Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Preschool Highlights From This Week

This week is Halloween so our class is very busy doing arts and crafts, making Halloween cards to send home and decorating our classroom! All the kids are going to come in costume on Thursday for our Halloween party and teachers are supposed to dress like cats:)



I had another teacher stop by my room yesterday morning to talk and share some concerns (we have the same age group). She told me that she's worried that some of her kids really aren't retaining all the numbers, letters, colors and shapes that she's introducing. I laughed and told her I have a kid who answers yellow to any question about what we've been learning - literally:

Me: "What shape is this?"
AR: "Yellow"
Me: "What letter is this?"
AR: "Yellow"
Me: "What number is this?"
AR: "Yellow"

Needless to say she felt a lot better after talking to me haha. I said at the end of the day they're 2.5 - 3 and all we can do is our best to teach them as much as we can, and accept that some of them may take a little longer than others to retain it:)


Some of the kids in my class make me laugh all the time. I have one little Italian girl that I just love. The other day a couple of the kids were fighting over toys so I knelt down and explained that we need to share with friends and said, "It makes me sad when you do that", I quickly felt a little person come to my side and say "And also me", I almost died laughing but did my best to keep a straight face and say, "And you've made Mia (*names changed of course) sad too."


In our afternoon session we've started having "concerts" some days. Said concerts include us setting up chairs in a semi-circle and inviting a few kids at a time to get up and sing/perform for the rest of us. We give them paintbrushes as microphones, ask them to introduce themselves (speaking into the microphone of course) and tell us what they're going to sing. Most of the kids get up and tell us they're going to perform the ABCs, Twinkle Twinkle or Baa Baa Blacksheep (although some of the kids seem to think it's called Blah Blah Blacksheep and it's just too cute to correct). One girl, we'll call Sarah, got up the other day and introduced herself and we asked her what she was going to sing for us. She looked very serious and, speaking into her microphone/paintbrush, said "Justin Bieber". What followed was nothing short of hysterical and seriously made my week. I've never heard the song she sang but some of the lyrics were something like:

You're beautiful, you're beautiful and you should know it,
You're beautiful, you're beautiful and it's time you show it,
Girl whatcha doin, whatcha doin, where you at, where you at?
People around the world just want to be loved...

She was belting it out and had some killer dance moves to go along with it. A little French girl tried to get  up and join her and Sarah gave her the stiff arm and pushed her right off our "stage", we said "Sarah can she please sing with you?" and Sarah said, "Um no because she really doesn't sing well" hahaha. I won't even get into the little boy who does Michael Jackson - crotch grabbing and all!



No comments:

Post a Comment